Containment - Beta

 

Modular Tunnel System

This week my main goal was finding and implementing a functioning map from the asset store. I looked through a lot of topics such a horror, puzzle, maze, and even poly. I needed something that was not crazy complex and did not look too realistic, but also, I did not want to be using a low poly map as I thought the colours and design of monsters is not as scary of a horror game. I searched up some sewer maps and found a few that were either free or a super low price, all I needed was a modular map where I could move sections around to change the shape and size of the map.

In the end I picked a simple Tunnel asset pack which featured some basic modular tunnels and a few basic props. While I would love to have a more complex and stunning environment with the time that I have left to complete my said game, I think this is the right decision and choice to be made. Now that I had picked out my map, I began placing it together and moving around the prefabs, it was tough at first to get prefabs to line up but once I enabled the grid snapping system things began to fall into place quickly. I made a nice maze which had multiple T and X junctions as to give the player multiple routes and added some doorways which lead into rooms where I plan to add a puzzle or two. 

My game will not be as complex as I would like it to be but its more about the developing process I feel, and I’ve enjoyed working on every bit of this project so far. The last thing I did was test the navigation of the monster within the map and it worked perfectly, no issues at all I gave the monster some wiggle room on the edges so it would not get stuck on the corners. The last thing I need to do is add a puzzle or two in which ill add a game over a scenario where if the puzzles are all completed a door will open in which the player can escape. I would have liked to add a menu setup for my game, but I sadly do not have the time left to do so.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. first of from the image your game design looks amazing I couldn't find and pre made enverment that where free so I had to make the room my self I am looking forward seeing the full maze in your video.
    Don't worry about your game not being complex sometime its best to start simple and focus on the basics. But you game layout looks good to me so I don't think you have anything to worry about. Also question, will your game be in first or second person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Gavin! Your game is looking class really well done! The tunnel looks really creepy and is perfect for the horror game you are going for. I think with the addition of some sinister music (if you haven't already done that) it could be a really nerve-racking experience to play your game. I think everybody was aiming for way higher than they could have achieved with their game so I wouldn't worry too much about it for not being not complex enough! Good luck with the making of your trailer and I can't wait to see what the gameplay looks like.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

An introduction to... me?

Game Design

Game Idea Research