Game Design



What is a Game, Anyway?

I've personally always wondered what actually makes the fundamentals of a game or the basic features to which something can be called "A Game", and not until I read an article called "What is a game any way?" did I truly understand. The article itself is quite interesting and while it did take me a while to finish, it did teach me quite a few things such as the fact that everyone has a different point of view on what a game really is, what classifies as a game, some people think of video games or board games first but the list is endless really. 
While reading this article you can begin to understand that a lot of games have similar ideas that contrast each other or relate in either one or two ways. The most eye-opening point made in this article to myself was one made by Schreiber who talks about the relationship between "Play" and "Games" where technology is not even needed to help enjoy a game of fetch or "play". 

Find out more - What is a Game, Anyway?

Four Basic Methods of generating ideas

This article carefully examines some key methods used for gathering ideas when looking at game development and design. The four techniques are as follows.

Concentration:
If an individual stays within the same atmosphere and does not seek to change their surroundings then the said individual will continue to generate the same ideas, a change of environment will always help idea generation.

Brainstorming:
This is the idea is most know to people who involve themselves in teamwork and can be seen used in a lot of group work such as gaming design/development. It helps bring groups of individuals together and to display ideas that work best with the said main idea.

Scamper:
This method focuses on using several single methods to break down and rearrange different aspects of a game.

The Ramsey Method
This method is one of the most difficult methods talked about in this article which gathers as much information as possible while studying date and finding connections or certain aspects of the game which were not known.


The organic nature of game Ideation

This article follows the process and creativity used to create good functioning game ideas, with help from 23 game designers who were interviewed this article gives you in-depth look at each individual's process. 


Comments

  1. Interesting read you certainly did better then me when it came to simplifying what was in the articals my main problem is always the academic style papers like "The organic nature of game Ideation" as there is just so much to process and it is hard to tell what is ecentiol and what is useless filler information while all you did was 2 lines

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Gavin!
    I really like your thinking in regards to what a game is and how people perceive it in many different ways. I also like the four different methods of generating game ideas. I didn't think there were different kinds of ways to generate ideas. The Ramsey method seems really intricate and difficult I'll be avoiding that one ! XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Gavin, I thought it was interesting to learn and have the fundamentals of 'A Game' fully laid out in the first article too. I also found it interesting to see different people's interpretations and thoughts of what a game is. I appreciate your layout of the Methods of idea generation, it's well broken down easy to read and understand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Gavin, I really like the layout of this blog with the text down the middle its different than the normal left side of the page. I also enjoyed how you simplified the article to just the main points which is easier to read, this is something I will need to learn for my blog as some of the difficult methods you made smaller which is helpful when reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Gavin,
    I really like the layout out the blog with the text in the middle of the page, just something a bit different. The way you simplified the article to just the important points make the information much easier to digest. I should try and lay out my future blogs like you've done here. How the layout of Methods of idea Generation is done, is great, broken up into easily read sentences. Great blog

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

An introduction to... me?

Game Idea Research