Game Brainstorm Part 1

Horror puzzle game

Horror is my all-time favourite genre in life, I love horror whether it be in music, movies or even in games it’s amazing. Now recently I’ve been finding myself playing a lot of puzzle games that normally revolve around the main player solving them to either save himself or someone else. I thought about this idea for a while and thought about how good it would be if I did a mix between the two bringing a puzzle game into a horror environment. The game the location could really be placed anywhere and could even have multiple maps depending on how long and complex I make the level design, I could make the game location in a forest, high school, hospital, or even an abandoned cabin, the main issue though with this game the concept is the making of a convincing the environment which would give off the horror vibes, I would be able to access plenty of assists which are horror-related online which is fine but still having to spend hours on the level the design might not be smart seeing how I only have myself working on this game. If I did end up keeping a good work ethic and getting my work done on time, I think it could work. The puzzles themselves in the game would be very easy to implement, most games you play these days you don’t even realize you're doing a puzzle, one idea I had for a puzzle was having the player find a design on a wall or floor which showed what items were needed to kill off the evil spirit in the building, the player would therefore go around the building gathering said items and bring them back to the design. Simple puzzles like this are easy but yet fun for the player, I think the player shouldn’t even know they are solving a puzzle. I found some great examples of horror games made in unity which can be found on YouTube here and here. I also found a useful tutorial on making a flashlight work for a horror game here.

3D sphere game

I believe out of the 4 game concepts I have decided to look into this game concept for a 3D sphere game would be the most simplistic. It would really use a lot of basic movements such as allowing the player to move in all directions and also the ability to jump. The game would consist of multiple levels with different themes/base locations where the player has a starting position and must get to the end position. When it comes to making simplistic games I must think about how I can add more things to make it more unique. I’m thinking I could add enemy ai spheres who if the player comes near they try to attack also thinking I could add customization like hats and textures for the 3D sphere. The biggest focus would have to go into game design/level design and making the map look amazing seeing how the game itself isn’t complex to develop. I would most likely need Blender installed if I wanted to create a unique level design or I could use assists off the unity hub. When it comes to looking for research/ideas of concept for 3D sphere games, there are lots of small games which use a 3D the sphere as their base for the game, I believe if I was to tackle this game concept I would really benefit a lot from studying other 3D sphere games and seeing what game design/development they haven’t added which I can bring to my game then. While looking for tutorials I found an official tutorial made by unity for making a 3D sphere game that allows the user to roll around and pick up points, that video can be found here on youtube. I also found great examples of the type of game id like to make both here and here again on youtube.



Tower defence game

Tower defence games are my number one games to play when it comes to mobile, I don't know what it is but something about these types of games gives me hours of enjoyment while never leaving me bored or tired of playing. Tower defence games follow a base set of rules, Waves of enemies will attack your base through a set pathway in the map, and its the player's job to buy and place down "turrets" to kill these enemies before they reach the end of the path which is normally the players base. Now it is very rare for a tower defence game to differ from the base rules of tower defence games and I've personally never seen a game which has any crazy new unique rule or feature, but it would be interesting to sit down and brainstorm and see what I could come up with. When it comes to the workload I think this the concept might have the most which seem odd but knowing the work that goes into coding these games and the added on the fact that I would need a GUI + shop features would add on more workload too. Map layout/design wouldn't be that big of an issue but seeing how it has to be a 3d game then maybe I would need to put added detail into the map which could difficult. If I was to do this project something fun that I could look into making is a randomly generated map feature that spits out new levels after a level is completed, this would require some more knowledge on coding but I think I'm comfortable with it as of now which is good. I've looked up some tower defence games on unity and found games like this here and here.

FPS Shooter Game

FPS shooter games are very common and a huge portion of the gaming community play FPS shooters. I love FPS games and play them frequently on my PC at home, I think its ever kids dream to one day make their own game, and its always been mine to make an fps game that people enjoyed. FPS games can be super complex in codings such as bringing in recoil or spray patterns into video games or they can be simple and just be point and click shooters, normally complex fps shooters are made for games with more realistic graphics or gameplay, and point and click are left for cartoonish games. I think if I was to go down the path of making this game id definitely go for a point and click because I don't think I would have the time to code like crazy. If I was to focus on this game concept I think id start by getting the player movement down, let the player move in all directions, jump and crouch. Next move on to weapons and probably make one weapon which works flawlessly, then level design and map making, if I finished the project id most likely go back to weapons, and now with the game mostly complete, I can add more guns or more details for the gun. Id love to make this game multiplier as it would be amazing to do a test run or a stress test with friends from the college but it might be complicated to code. I've looked into videos online and I've found a few on youtube here, here, and here.


Comments

  1. Hey Gavin,

    It was really interesting reading the different game ideas that you came up with and it's always great to meet a person who has a creative perspective on games. The horror game idea that you presented is impressive and if pulled off would be an amazing game! I've played a few puzzle horror games but they never really managed to be scary but more tedious than anything so it would be great to see you be able to pull it off. One thing that got me curious is what or who would the obstacle be? I think if you had a terrifying entity after you as you play the game it would make the experience that much scarier! Another question I have is would there be a story to this game? I think that another way to have a player invested is maybe a story as well to make the player want to progress further as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Gavin, nice to see someone big on the horror department! I myself have enjoyed a decent amount of horror movies (especially if they have a true story element to them). Although, I've never really played any horror games so it'll be interesting to see what you come up with if you do decide to go with the horror game idea. Best of luck! - JRLOI

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Gavin, I really enjoyed reading your blog it was very interesting to read your ideas and it was written really well. The poor game idea your thought of sounds really cool and I think it would be fun to play. I haven't ever played a horror themed game but id love to try one I think it would be really fun, good luck with your game.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

An introduction to... me?

Game Design

Game Idea Research