Containment - Alpha

Death-Cam

This week I finished off the enemy AI tracking and added in some new features to strengthen the enemy’s design and process of attacking/finding the player. I began by adding onto the base feature of patrolling for the enemy and made it so the enemy now patrols closer to the last known location of the player, this means if the player does manage outrun the enemy he will be put under a state of “high alert” which over a period of time will widen his search/patrolling distance moving him further and further away from the player, I gave the enemy some more states such as hunting, kill, and search. In the search state how it works is every time the enemy gets to his new waypoint in his patrol, he will rotate as to “look around” and search the area before waiting 5secs and moving to his next waypoint.

Moving on I needed to add a feature in which if the player was caught by the enemy, they would be killed and reset, I achieved this by giving a “death-camera” to the enemy where it faces the enemy’s face/body. I have the camera set to off by default and only turns on when the enemy has captured the player. The player's camera soon pans/rotates to the new camera where I placed a spotlight over the creatures face so make it a little bit more detailed/scary. I called an “invoke reset” parameter so that the whole scene gets reset if captured by the enemy.

Finally, this week I did some searching online for some map assists such as terrain and underground systems. I tried my best looking for some free assists but to be honest I have no issue paying a little bit of money as I find all this game development quite enjoying and fun. I think ill settle ongoing for an underground/sewer system modular assists found from the store linked here, they seem useful and I can edit the layout as much as I want. Next week I need to focus on making/design the map and layout, checking the nav-mesh works well with the new map and find/designing a model for my enemy/creature.

Comments

  1. Hi Gavin, I read your OG post about your game a few weeks ago and I loved your game! I still do it's such a good idea! I read all the posts up to this and wow, I'm impressed! It's obvious you've put a lot of work into the game! You seem like a natural! I really enjoy your writing because you describe everything really well. I love how you made the enemy be able to hunt and kill, it really makes it feel like a professional game. I don't think I'd be any good at it though, haha! Are there any other things you plan on adding? Are you going to make your enemy look scary? I really enjoyed it overall, I’m looking forward to it being completed and hopefully I will be able to play it! Best of luck! -Megan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

An introduction to... me?

Game Design

Game Idea Research